Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Titles

Buy The Princess and the Prepper HERE

By Barbara Elsborg
Yes, titles and not titels as I first typed it. I have problems with them. I can’t start writing until I’ve fixed on one and I can’t make the story work until I’ve fixed on the right one. I suspect a lot of authors are the same.

It seems like a good idea to choose a title no one else has used but not that easy with romance books. Mackerchar’s ‘The Romance of Leprosy’ lacks that something – probably dropped off. Opps. Sorry.

Pick a title with zing! Not like Rossi’s ‘The Sex Life of the Foot and Shoe.’ Which I suspect is not sexy at all.

Choose something that appeals. Unlike Joseph’s ‘A Letter to the Man who Killed my Dog.’ That doesn’t sound like it has a happy ending.

I found one I like the sound of – Simpson’s ‘Cannibalism and the Common Law: A Victorian Yachting Tragedy.’ Oh and ‘Defensive tactics with Flashlights’ by Peters Jnr. I wonder who he was defending himself against.

I don’t know how other authors come up with their titles but I find listening to lyrics helps. Robbie William’s in particular. If that fails, I just ask my crit partner and she comes up with something. Thanks, Arlene!

But ‘The Princess and the Prepper’ – was a title given to me by Decadent and what a pleasure it was to run with it. No struggling for days to come up with the perfect phrase. The title says it all.

Blurb:
Lili knows she shouldn’t accept a lift from a stranger, but as usual, she leaps from one disaster to another. The consequence is being stuck in the middle of a snowy nowhere wearing next to nothing, and this time, being unprepared looks likely to kill her.

Grant lives in an isolated cabin for a reason. He’s prepared for almost every eventuality. The last thing he wants is some needy person interfering with his ordered life. When he gets into bed with a woman he rescued from certain death—just to warm her up, of course—Grant discovers something else he’s not prepared for. His heart opening.

A match made in heaven, until secrets come knocking. Lili is not just a simple woman in need of shelter, and unless she can survive dealing with her background, it doesn’t seem possible the happiness that’s fallen out of a blizzard can heal Grant’s own past.

For one lucky commentor who can tell me a title they love or hate – I offer an ecopy of the Princess and the Prepper – or any other of my Decadent books.

P.S. Those books I’ve mentioned are real books!
www.barbaraelsborg.com
www.barbaraelsborg.blogspot.com

5 comments:

Susan W. said...

Watchers by Dean Koontz is my favorite title because it discribes what the characters do. They watch out for each other. Including (or specifically) the dog. It's a thriller with horror and romantic elements. Love it!
suz2(at)cox(dot)net

Barbara Elsborg said...

It is a great title and a great book. I've read all his!! Thanks for commenting, Susan.

Arlene said...

I get stuck on names. Everthing stays blank or halts until I have one, and if you, Barbara, critique partner extrodinaire point out every name starts with J, for example, after changing the name I still think of the character by the orginal.
I did write a short where I was under time pressure so I called the heroine blah-blah. Her name ended up Blanche. Princess and the Prepper is a great title and wow!! does the story do it justice.

Barbara Elsborg said...

Thanks, Arlene!!

Barbara Elsborg said...

Okay, Suz - you win. I'll email you!