Sunday, February 5, 2012

Romance is in the air…

by Jane Rochester

Thank you so much for dropping by my spot at Daily Dose of Decadence! Romance is one of the upcoming holiday’s defining features. (For those of you looking confused – and I’m looking at you, gentlemen – I’m talking about Valentine’s Day. Run for reservations now!) But how do you define romance? Is it hot and steamy? Chocolate and flowers? Housework done by a hunky guy dressed in a smile and an apron that says “Kiss the Cook?”

Sorry. Momentary fantasy. I’m done drooling now.

Traditionally, it’s all about the roses and chocolate and sweeping gestures of love and adoration. But it doesn’t have to be. Hundreds of romances never make mention of a flower, or a piece of chocolate. It can be a gesture, a word, or a note. Especially if it’s something out of the ordinary for the giver.

I mean, there’s always the fantasy romance. The lover who sweeps you off your feet, with a room full of candles and rose petals AND chocolate, all of which you pretty much ignore in favor of each other. And no one can deny how sexy it is for your significant other to take over all the chores you usually do.

For Nora and Angus, romance is finding the person who completes you. For two people who have given up on the idea of love and romance, they make a last ditch effort with Madame Eve’s 1 Night Stand service, and actually manage to do pretty well. For them, romance is about enjoying each other, talking, getting to know this person that you feel an instant connection with. There are no flowers strewn over the bed, or heart-shaped box of chocolates waiting with a bottle of champagne.  (and if there were, they probably wouldn’t have noticed for a good while.) They manage to find all the romance they need in each other, without any of those things.

That’s the best kind of romance. The kind you can find everyday with someone you love, without all the extra trappings. I think that’s the kind everyone wants, and if you find it, you have to keep it.

What are your favorite romantic moments? I’ll be awarding one commenter who leaves their favorite romantic moment and their email in the comment area a free copy of Soul Mate!

I hope everyone can name a few, and if you haven’t had one yet, you will find yourself in the middle of one in the future.

And if he’s hunky and wearing nothing but an apron, well, that’s just icing on the cake.


5 comments:

Jessica E. Subject said...

I think that definition of romance is truly the best. The most romantic moment for me was when my DH asked me to marry him. It didn't go exactly as planned, but romantic just the same. :)

booklover0226 said...

One year for Valentine's Day, my boyfriend fixed dinner. The guy couldn't cook to save his life but he made the effort.

Though the dinner was awful, it was the most romantic evening for me.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Barbara Elsborg said...

Watching my daughter fling her arm into the air as she left the church having married her sweetheart. She looked so happy all day.
I have a very unromantic husband - which is why I write!

RoseD said...

My favorite romantic moment was when my husband and I had been dating for about 6 months. I was living with my parents at that time and he had it all prearranged with my mom. He came over at 5am and woke me with a kiss, wished me Happy Birthday, and told me he'd be waiting in the family room while I got ready so he could take me to breakfast before we both had to go to work.

My second favorite romantic moment was when he proposed to me the night before a friend's wedding for which I was a bridesmaid. The maid-of-honor also got engaged the same night...it was right before Christmas....I guess there was something in the air =)

Christy said...

My favorite romantic moment was when my boyfriend rented a room with a jacuzzi, bought me dinner, and drinks for Christmas one year. christina_92 at yahoo.com