by Olivia Starke
For new authors and those looking for ways to get their name to the general masses, there’s no greater gift than blogging. Start your own blog, blog hop, guest blog, blog, blog, blog. This should be your new favorite word (and I’m not just saying this cuz Valerie Mann is holding my favorite teddy bear at gunpoint—don’t do it Val!)
Not only do you have the opportunity to advertise your wares, aka writing style, to folks, you also learn the joy of
1) Coming up with brilliant ideas starting from absolute crap—much like today’s blog. As writers we’ve all encountered the terrifying blank screen of death. When faced with a promised blog date (and sometimes hostage situations) you learn to perform on cue regardless of what you have to work with.
2) Exploring and tweaking your writing style. Every writer has an inner muse, and learning who that muse is takes us on a journey. Sure I can write sappy, sometimes it’s called for, but it’s more fun for my muse to be a little snarky. I’ve worked with this since starting on my own personal journey into blogging madness.
3) You get to be the cool kid in school. I mean how many of us got to be prom queen or class president? Here is your opportunity to be the center of attention and have everyone hanging on your every word? Enjoy the limelight!
4) It’s practice, practice, practice. It’s so important to write every day to keep our creative muscle in shape. It’s easy to skip free writing for, say, time spent with family. But if you have a pile up of pending blog dates, then you have to sit down and brainstorm and write.
5) You meet lots of new peeps. Even if you’re a total introvert like me without alcohol, you’ll have new friendly faces to look forward to socializing with.
Thanks everyone for joining me today! Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a teddy bear to go rescue.
Author Bio: Olivia Starke calls a little town in southern Missouri home. Some of the most beautiful country in the U.S., she loves the Ozarks and hikes, runs, kayaks, or rides horses whenever possible. When not working at her laptop or in her retail management job, she’s playing mom to an ever expanding collection of dogs, cats, and horses who find their way to her little farm.
1NS: Familiar Desires
Ashley Adams signed up with the 1NightStand service in hopes of stirring up some cougar passion in her lackluster life. When she meets tall, dark, and oh-so-sexy Justin, the sparks fly. But something deeper lies in their magical connection, something she isn’t prepared for. Will a casual one-night stand change her life forever?