Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Scarred Hero



Buy The Governess and the Beast HERE

By Karyn Gerrard

Considering I am a voracious reader, I came to romance reading late, about seven years ago. One of the first books I read was the historical, Simply Love, by Mary Balogh. Both the H/H were wounded souls, but the hero, Sydnam Butler, had outer scars as well (The blurb says severely maimed, and yikes, he was, eye and arm gone)

I was immediately drawn to this hero, his nobility and bravery in the face of his liabilities and the vulnerability he tried so hard to hide. This book made me cry, and I not only became hooked on the romance genre, but scarred heroes in general. I also love the concept of the heroine seeing beyond the physical outer shell and physical impediments to the man underneath.  It’s what we all want really, for someone to see the real you.

The Governess and the Beast is my first attempt at my own scarred hero.  This short novella is book 2 in my Blind Cupid series (Book 1 is The Blind Cupid, The Edge series) Scarred heroes seem a perfect fit for a historical setting, and Baron Simon Wolstenholme, the Beast of Stonecliff, fits the bill.  Scarred in The Boer War, this lonely man gets more than he bargained for when he advertised for a governess for his ward.

Here is the blurb:
After answering an employment ad in a London newspaper for the position of governess, Hortense Jennings embarks on an adventure she did not expect. Hortense has many secrets and a past she longs to forget.

Concealed in a gothic, crumbling manor on the edge of a North Sea cliff, Baron Simon Wolstenholme is hiding from life. Horribly scarred from battle wounds, he lives up to his name “The Beast of Stonecliff.”

Simon has a proposition for Hortense that involves a singular night of passion. Raging weather and storms of anger clash between a lonely man and a woman revealing their secret desires in an emotional crescendo. Will they be able to find calm and admit their true feelings?

Check out The Governess and the Beast at Decadent Publishing

1 comment:

Susan W said...

This looks good! I'm going to have to check out book 1.