Saturday, July 16, 2011

What I Did Half the Summer


by Maureen O. Betita

June, what a blast! If I can remember it… Let’s see, I ended May with a scifi convention, called BayCon. A day spent chatting with a writer friend and gaping at amazing costumes. Nothing better than that!

I met and hired a publicist who is asbatshit crazy over the movie 1776, the Musical, as I am. Yup, sitting in a Menlo Park Starbucks quoting song lyrics back and forth at each other. Kismet!

A few weeks later I was at the Northern California Pirate Festival…gaping at the amazing costumes. ;-)


 
Sensing a theme here…  I also added to my new pirate hat and posed with a kraken eating a ship. Good time!

Then I spend a Sunday watching race cars at Sonoma…and my driver did good! Came in third! Whoohoo! (No gaping at costumes here, though what some people wear to the races…well…I really have no room to talk…)

July? Family stuff and a wonderful pool party at my Dad’s where the little ones were the stars of the show, rightly so. I have no little ones of my own, but watching the great nieces and nephews kept me grinning most of the day. Not to mention the nieces and nephews playing with all the greats…


Six more weeks to go! It actually looks a little slow on my calendar, but then fall kicks in and I’m off the races again!
  
So, how has your summer been?

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Yup, that is little Rosie and Lily there... And when I say off to the races I don't literally mean another race... Though I am going to the MotoGP race at Laguna Seca in a few weeks... Great big motorcycles and a windy track... ;-)

Fun!

Barbara Elsborg said...

You've had fun!! I have struggled with hayfever, horrible weather and kids leaving home. Sob... if only the weather would get better.

JoAnne Kenrick said...

That's a pretty busy summer so far, Maureen...and lots of fantastic costumes to adore :) Love the photo of you by the kraken style bouncy castle. Question is, did you go for a bounce with your pirate garb on?
My summer has been full of writing and the such like, trying to get it all done before the hubby's time off so we can enjoy full on family time. Can't wait :) I fully intend to plant my feet in the sand and build sand castles all morning and read as many books (yours included) poolside in the afternoon. Sounds like bliss. i can't believe I've gone this long without reading -- nightmare! I'm going through withdrawals big time hehe Hope you enjoy the remaining six weeks xxx

Hales said...

Sounds great :) Love the pics! I'm enjoying time without teens, feelin better today so that'sgood plan on writing some tomorrow. Reading today :)

Casea Major said...

Maureen, Those girls are precious! I love Pirates. Next to Knights they are my favorite. What a fun summer.

Maureen said...

Barbara! I'm so sorry the weather has been putting a crimp in your plans! And hayfever...booo! I'm on some new stuff my doc gave me to stop my allergy stuff dead and so far, so good.

JoAnne - Voluntarily enter the kraken's maw? Are you mad!? Actually, I don't think they would have let me in anyway...

Hales, glad you can find the sweet in not going on the trip you planned.

Casea - You ever see the Deadliest Warrior episode where they put a pirate up against a knight? Pirate won! Sneakier, and more nimble without all the armour on... And the big gun helped, a lot!

Ann Mayburn said...

You are, by far, one of the sexiest pirate ladies I've seen and I sooooooo envy your clothes! :D

Maureen said...

Thank, Ann! That coat is Kirsti Smart coat...she is well known for her costume coats... Everything else is found costume items...my favorite way to costume!

kathleen said...

Sounds like you're having fun. I think it's a great idea to hire a publicist. Hope it goes well.

I've been to Cape May, my favorite place at the Jersey Shore. In between work and spending time with my grandsons, I've been working on another novel.