Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Running Jokes and the Fate of the Universe

By Catherine Peace 
   
My roommate and I have a running joke about my dog. (You see that face? I love that face more than anything.)

    You see, Riley is this super hilarious dog who, as my roommate says, looks dumber than a box of rocks. She’s incredibly intelligent. Don’t let her fool you. She’s as sassy at 13 years old as she was when I adopted her at 3 years old. And I couldn’t do without her if I tried.
    So the running joke? That Riley is actually Agent Voof, a Russian spy sent by Putin to gather nukes.
    That’s my life, guys. Making up stories about my dog being a Russian spy.





Favorites so far:
·        Riley is prospectively interviewing our guy friends to find her “Thumbs” to do her bidding.
·        When she sees me or my roommate, she addresses us as “hoomin.” She’ll address me as Mommy (Mah-mee) when she wants something.
·        My roommate’s dog is Little One. If Little One had opposable thumbs, we’d all be screwed because she adores Riley.
·        Riley is hilariously incapable of finding the nukes.

On my way home from work, I started daydreaming about how Riley would fit into Gemini's world. If she’d be Judah Welles’ right paw, if she’d be the lapdog of some other villain, or if she’d be a double-agent and try to “help” Shadi and Uri. My guess is that she’d be in the company of whoever would give her the most treats.
What do you guys think she’s thinking in that picture? Best caption will win a copy of Gemini.

Being one of the Embassy’s glorified treasure-seekers has its perks… 
    Komandan Uriah Jacobs recovers ancient artifacts in exchange for more than just decent pay; he also receives guaranteed protection from his former owners, the nyx…until an emergency landing on a too-familiar colony brings him face-to-face with his past life and something more—a surprisingly priceless treasure in the form of a human woman.
    A slave to the nyx since childhood… 
    Shadi spends her waking hours in the forge, dreaming of rescuing her brother with the help of a man she once worshipped like a father. A crashed ship on the colony becomes her only hope to escape. But before she can steal the ship, the pilot abducts her. They may be the same species, but will he help her find her Shilah?
    Their attraction is undeniable… 
Fighting it seems inconsequential as they evade the nyx's bounty hunter and uncover a conspiracy that shines unwanted light on Shadi's past and reveals the corruption in Uri’s beloved Embassy, placing their fledgling love in danger.
    As the universe systematically falls apart, will Shadi and Uri’s newfound passion be enough to keep them alive?
 

A romantic retelling of The Brothers Grimm's tale, The Water Nixie. 

Buy links:

Author links:



No comments: