Friday, September 5, 2014

At Second Glance

Available HERE
by Vicki Ballante

This book holds a special place in my heart and I thoroughly enjoyed writing it. From writing sweet romance to full-on erotic romance, phew, what a transition. My usual genre has been sweet romance. But I wanted to become adventurous. So, I took the plunge and wrote my first “official” erotic romance and penned At Second Glance.
The heroine in At Second Glance was partly inspired by my own struggles as a younger woman – my reticence and lack of a sense of adventure. I loved that Merryn changed and decided to take a chance with Kirk to have some fun. I loved Kirk’s ability to let go of the past and think of the future. Sometimes the past can come back and haunt a relationship. Love can find a way to forget the history or rather use it as a lesson for the future.


Quotes from reviews:

“The love scenes were super-hot because the characters remained honest in their self-doubts and needs. I found it refreshing that the emotions motivating the scenes were portrayed with such tenderness and understanding.” By Ylette Pearson on Goodreads

“This book had a refreshing take on the erotic romance genre. A majority of the books I've read lately are filled with lust-on-tap, psychotic loons posing as Alphas, and insta-love. This book, though sizzling hot, maintained a sweet, funny, almost-wholesome edge to it. The couple's attraction, internal conflicts, and road to reconciliation were grounded in reality - difficult choices real people have to make.” By Gee on Goodreads

Blurb
Four years after her divorce, Merryn decides she’s ready to find someone. Joining an online singles site, she connects with the perfect guy. Funny, sexy, sensitive. When he suggests they meet, excitement compels her to say yes.
Kirk pines for his ex-wife, but realizes he must move forward. After several stimulating online chats, he believes she might be the one for him. Smart, sexy, willing to experiment and learn. But when he happens across his ex, all his plans fly out the window.
Will Merryn learn to relax and have fun without giving her heart? Can Kirk forget the past and become the man he longs to be?

Short Excerpt
Panda: I have no idea what you look like. Are you as prickly as your profile pic?
Her user name was Hedge, short for hedgehog, her favorite animal. She had downloaded a cute pic of a hedgehog from an online free photos website. The little pokey nose and eyes took up the bulk of the picture, but the prickles were still visible.
Hedge: Are you as cuddly as yours?
His panda bear thumbnail showed one patched eye and a nose.
Panda: Will you ever know? Tell me, I’m curious to know what you’ve learned in your research.
Hedge: Not much actually. I read erotic romance novels. I’ve read up about all sorts of things that I was never willing to try before.
Panda: I gather you were in a relationship before?
Hedge: Let’s not go there.
She took in a shaky sigh. She didn’t want to dump all of her hurt onto a complete stranger, even though she would never see him.
Panda: I’ve had several of those.
Hedge: There. You’re a modern guy.
Panda: That’s why I’m trying to be a bit more old-fashioned. Maybe I should research on chivalry. I’m learning that for women it’s not all about the sexual act. There needs to be a build-up, some stroking and loving first.
The room felt hot. She fanned her face with her hands. This guy sounded dreamy, sexy. So far, their chat had been very platonic. Now suddenly, it had changed direction.
Hedge: You are a guy, right?
Panda: You insult me. I know some guys just want to rush things to climax and are only interested in the sex part. I’m different. I want to build a relationship, too.
Hedge: Yeah, but that can get in the way of having some fun.

Panda: You are a woman, right?

No comments: