Thursday, June 12, 2014

My Not So Silent Surrender

Have you heard me yelling and cheering from my living room? I’m soooooo excited. You may be asking yourself why. Today starts my favorite sports event, the World Cup. I LOVE soccer and will watch it for hours if I don’t have to go anywhere. During the World Cup, which happens every four years, I have been known to get up before the crack of dawn and then watch three or four games in one day. I taught myself the rules of the game by watching games, listening to the announcers and paying attention to different movements by the players.
Now you may be asking yourself, “What’s to like?” First and foremost, it’s the men! They are H-O-T! Okay, not all of them, but a lot of them are. Plus, they’re in great physical condition since they have to spend up to an hour and half running up and down the field. And every once in a while they’ll lift their shirts or take them off completely and I get a great view of some sculpted abs. Of course, I also love the whole game itself, the idea of kicking a ball around and working together to shove it into a net. And watching the goalkeepers work so hard to protect the net. And, unlike most other sports, soccer games don’t have fifty million commercials.
Because I love soccer so much, and I know how popular it is in most other parts of the world (not so much in the US), I made one of my heroes a soccer coach. (Actually, I didn’t decide. He told me he was a coach. Bossy characters!) In Silent Surrender, Quinn O’Connell has walked away from his team for a long weekend to find the woman he had a wild fling with and who has never left his mind. I also added a fun scene where Quinn and Meggie (the heroine) play a game of soccer with local school boys.
Now I know not everyone enjoys sports, so I didn’t spend a whole lot of time or words on soccer. But I hope adding the touch of soccer I have into the book enriches the story. My goal is to show soccer coaches (and players) can be fine heroes, too! Did I reach my goal? You be the judge!
Thanks for hanging out with me for a while today. I’m off to map out which games I cannot miss and then I’ll be heading back to the TV to watch the 1st game of the 2014 World Cup!

Available HERE
Book Blurb:
Meggie MacDougall often dreams of Quinn O’Connell, the sexy Irish football coach who swept her off her feet in Dublin. But what happened in Dublin must stay there. She has responsibilities at home, and she refuses to fuel the gossip fires in Glenhalish.
Quinn has never forgotten Meggie and the explosive weekend they shared. Overwhelmed by memories of her passion, beauty, and zest for life, he jeopardizes his cushy career to find her and test the connection between them.
When Quinn arrives in her Highland village, Meggie is determined to ignore him. However, she isn't prepared for the claim he lays on her heart with his sexy charm and his tender soul.
Will pride and fear keep Meggie from embracing possibilities, or will Quinn's gentle persistence break down her defenses and lead her to a silent surrender?

Excerpt:
Quinn came toward her, the ball juggling between his feet. “Get him, Miss Meggie!” someone called from across the pitch.
Her heart rate, already soaring, tripped at the sight of her man. Her nerves tightened, her muscles clenched. She rocked on the heels of her feet. She’d steal the ball for her team.
He closed the distance between them. Meggie pushed against his rock-hard abs and tangled with his feet. He tugged on her ponytail, slid his foot between hers, and sent the ball to his teammates.
Meggie yelped, her arms flailing to her sides. Her feet remained tangled with Quinn’s, and she lost her balance.
Quinn’s arms circled her waist and twisted her so his body took the brunt of the impact with the dirt-packed earth. She rolled to the side, still cradled in the crook of his arm and with the pressure of his delicious body over every inch of hers. “Are you all right?” He propped himself up and brushed her hair away from her face.
“Aye. Thank you for taking the fall for us.”
“You’re down here with me, aren’t you?”
“Aye, but you protected me. Thank you, my Irish knight.”
“My pleasure, my lady.”
Aye, she was his lady and she decided she rather liked it.
He leaned down and claimed her mouth.
“Is she hurt?” one of the lads yelled. The ground trembled beneath their feet.
“Aye, ye daft fool. He’s giving her mouth-to-mouth,” yelled another.
Together they both giggled and ended the kiss. “You should probably let me up before they call for an ambulance.”
“Right.” He jumped to his feet. “No worry, boys. She’s fine.” She missed the feel of him against her body. As she propped herself on her forearms, he reached down and pulled her to her feet.


Author Bio:
Alexa Bourne is a teacher by day and a romance writer by nights, weekends, and all school holidays. She also teaches online classes for writers throughout the year. She writes romantic suspense and contemporary romance and is thrilled to have the chance to share her love of Great Britain with readers everywhere.
When she's not concocting sinister plots and steamy love scenes or traveling and exploring new cultures, Alexa spends her time reading, watching brainless TV and thinking about exercising. She loves to interact with readers, so visit her web page, follow her on Twitter or drop her a note at Alexa@alexabourne.com!

#alexabourne, #decadentpub  

1 comment:

Teri Riggs said...

I love the sweet excerpt! But something tells me the book is hot, hot, hot!