Monday, May 6, 2013

Misconceptions Abound

Buy The Preacher's Outlaw HERE!

by Patricia Bates

When I first began to seriously think of writing a manuscript to sell, which is much different than writing a manuscript I have no intention of anyone from a publishing house seeing, I had a gross misconception.

As I've said before, I've written for years in all lengths, formats, and categories. It was natural for me to have this idea in my head, after all how hard could it be really? I mean, a saleable manuscript is easy...hehehe...sure it is. I found out that it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and time. You don't just sit down, write a hundred thousand words and send it off.

Nope, you have to be sure that what you're getting out of your work is what you're putting into it. It didn't take long to get 100,000 words, but were they good ones? Did they help the story or just bog it down? Is your story active and intense, will it draw in a reader? Or more importantly will it hook the editor so it can be polished to draw in the reader lol?

You can type up a story in a month...is it ready for publication? No, not in my humble opinion. Regardless of your experience, an author can't assume anything. Misconceptions have a way of hampering and even disabling a writer because they get so tied to an idea. You have to be flexible, willing to work through those conceptions and see where it takes you.

I'm nearly finished with this manuscript. I'm still polishing it, tweaking, twisting words so its tight, fast-paced, and captures the reader's imagination. Have I learned anything? You bet I have, but that's a tale for another day.

So I'll leave you with this thought -

Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's fingers." Hans Christian Anderson

No comments: