Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Red's Return

Buy Red's Return HERE
By Brigit Aine
Thanks for letting me take over today.  I am excited about being here.  This makes for a nice break from teaching, writing and ummm…well teaching and writing, oh…and teaching writing.  I teach high school English and we are getting ready to dive into “Of Mice and Men”.  This meant that students needed a good sense of who they are what they value.  Which for the past few days I have had to teach how to look within themselves and how to express what it is that is important to them as people, this always amazes me.

As a freshman English teacher I am always floored by how little writing experience the students have.  Both formal and creative.It was so hard to get them even give a descriptive autobiographical incident.  Most of them didn’t even understand what I was asking for.  We spent a lot of time talking about what was important to them.  It took forever to get beyond video games, phones and boyfriends.

It made me sad to think that the creativity had been driven out of them.  Even more astonishing perhaps was their use (or lack) of grammar and spelling.  I got text speak.  I was appalled that they would even think this was okay to turn in.  Even stepping back for a moment and thinking about what I know of teenagers (having 2 of my own) I couldn’t believe that they would feel it was okay to turn in a written paper to a teacher in text speak.  This means that in my teaching of how to write an in-class essay I have had to include the lack of text speak.  This actually concerned some of them because they don’t know how to spell out of text speak. 

Explaining to students that “laugh out loud”, unless they were using it to describe how someone was doing the laughing, or that one character made another character “laugh out loud”, was unacceptable proved to be time-consuming and frustrating.  I am just back in the classroom after being an administrator for 5 ½ years, so this was a new road. 

Excerpt, Red's Return:


  “Nice to meet you Red Hood, I am Ethan Wolfe.” Red started to laugh so hard, she almost toppled again. If Ethan had not been holding her hand and caught her under the elbow she would have. The tingling sensations in her fingertips from his touch had her sobering fast. She hadn't felt an instant attraction to a man in a long time. Ethan looked at her as if she had lost her mind.
"I am sorry, but the story of Little Red Riding Hood just popped into my head there. Red and the Wolfe?” She smiled. “My grandmother always told me the big, bad wolf was going to find me on the path and want to keep me for himself someday.”
Ethan smiled at her, a wide, hungry smile.

Red took another step back.

“Well I was on my way to my grandmother's house, so I think I had better get there. It was nice to meet you Ethan Wolfe.” Red took off at a brisk pace for her grandma's house.

Ethan watched Red Hood walk away from him, the wicked smile unwaning. Grandma always told her that the big, bad wolf would want to keep her, did she? Well Grandma did not know how right she was. Ethan was definitely going to keep her for himself and he was the biggest, baddest wolf around. Ethan licked his lips as he watched the gentle sway of Red’s hips as she walked away. He and his wolf had both smelled the scent of an orgasm on her hand. The thought of her pleasuring herself hardened his cock until it pressed against the seam of his zipper. He felt his palms sweat at the thought and a rush of heat throughout his body. He found her absolutely delightful—from the melody of her laugh, to the gravel in her voice, to the tiniest glint of passion and fear he had seen in her beautiful blue eyes. 

You can find me at:



2 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

Good luck in your new job! I have to say I don't envy you. I don't have the patience for teaching but good for you!!! And who can't love a story about Red Hood!

Laci said...

I worry for this young generation, and the English written language. What's to become of it? *sigh*