Saturday, January 12, 2013

Another Western? How did this happen??


Hey peeps! Cassandra Dean here, ready to tell you all about The Diamond Series and book the second, Fool’s Gold.

Wow, book 2 in a series I never thought I would write. Crazy, hey? As you may know, I really like watching westerns on the tv and the place that plays the movies, but I’ve never thought of writing my own. So when my editor suggest I write for Decadent Publishing’s Western Escape, I was a bit hesitant as I wasn’t sure I could do the genre justice. I mean, I hear English voices in my head real good, but Old American West ones? Not so much. However, I went away, had a bit of a think, and came up with book 1 of the series, Rough Diamond!

After Rough Diamond was finished, I thought that was it. Alice and Rupert had their happily ever after and though I could now hear Western voices in my head, I thought one book would be it. However, the West is seductive, my friends. Two secondary characters, Pearl and Ethan, were unduly antagonistic to each other in Rough Diamond and I was all-fired curious as to why this was so. The tendrils of a new story formed and before I knew it, Fool’s Gold was here!

Fool’sGold is Christmas at the Diamond Saloon in Freewill, Wyoming. Pearl is now the manager of the Diamond while the owner, Alice, is away. It’s Christmas Eve and all she wants to do is wait out the blizzard that’s blowing their way in an unusually empty saloon, curled up in bed with a whiskey and a French magazine. A pounding on the Diamond’s door robs her of such thoughts, and when she opens the saloon to whoever is doing the pounding, she’s all het up to see it’s the overwhelmingly annoying Ethan Garret. Before she can get him to leave again, the blizzard blows in and the two of them are trapped alone in an empty saloon...Shenanigans ensue :)

Here’s the blurb, peeps!

Christmas in Freewill

Christmas Eve, the Diamond Saloon is empty of its people, and Pearl la Monte has a hankering to retire early. A pounding at the Diamond’s door rids her of such a fool notion. Her irritation rises when she sees the prissy, polite-like Garrett standing outside.

Ethan Garrett has a powerful need to gain succor. When the saloon’s voluptuous redheaded singer scowls at him from the threshold of the Diamond, he doesn’t stop to think on how his ire at her has disappeared. Or how he just wants to spend some time in her company.

When a blizzard storms in, trapping them, will they spend their time arguing or find their irritation for each other disguises something more?

Sounds pretty nifty, right? Crazily enough, I’m planning on writing number three. Tentatively entitled Emerald Sea, this story is very much in progress. I think there may be a gunslinger, and a chorus girl. Maybe. Who knows, anything is possible at this stage!

Thanks so much for hanging with me, peeps, and I hope you’ll check out the Diamond Saloon and her people.



No comments: