Monday, December 8, 2014

Christmas on the Farm

by Jessica E. Subject

For those who don’t know, I spent a few years at the beginning of the millennium living in the country. In this part of Canada, that means outside of the city, with farmland and woods (bush) all around. I enjoyed most things about living out there, but I have so many memories about winters and Christmases living in the farmhouse.
The first year, I had to get used to driving in the snow. I never went for my official license until I knew we were moving out there, so I didn’t have much practice. And living on a gravel road had its own complications.
During my second year there, not only did I wind up in a farmer’s field after sliding on an icy road, but I decided to host a double family Christmas. Well, it was a disaster. Or so I believed. I didn’t have enough mashed potatoes for everyone, and I was so emotional, I kept crying every five minutes. Little did I know that I was pregnant with my first child.
And in the third year, my husband and I were driving home on Christmas Eve, my little baby in the backseat, when a deer ran toward me from the field. At first it ran alongside me, but I worried it would run out in front of me. My husband had preached at me many times about what to do if this happens. I did not slam on the brakes, but slowed down. And the deer did run in front. But, I was going slow enough, I didn’t hit it. I was home within two minutes with my heart racing, but I didn’t hit a deer or get into an accident.
It was experiences like these, and tales I’d heard from others that I used as inspiration for writing Accidental Romance, my New Adult contemporary romance about a young woman who loses her hand in a farming accident. And part of the story takes place just before Christmastime.

Here’s an excerpt...
Leanne stared out the window, watching the many empty fields go past as Tina drove. Empty like her heart. Nothing about the day had made her feel any better. Not even the prospect of having a temporary hand in two weeks.
“C’mon, Leanne,” Tina said. “You have to stop dwelling on him. Think of all the good that came out of today. Your appointment went well, and you bought a couple of cute new outfits.” She slowed down at the next stop sign. “Though you’re the most depressing shopping partner I’ve ever had.”
With a sigh, she turned to her friend. “I’m sorry. I didn’t expect today to start the way it did.” She’d thought her worst days were over, hoped she could put the accident behind her. But her heartache hurt nearly as much as losing her hand.
“I know, but maybe it will end better.” Tina accelerated again and pulled into Leanne’s driveway within minutes.
She doubted anything could make the day better. She wanted to crawl into bed and sleep, forget about the pain Jake had caused. She glanced in the dining room window and saw the Christmas tree had been set up. What? Her mother hadn’t waited for her to help? She had participated in decorating the tree for as long as she could remember.
So much for the day getting better.
She shoved the door open, craving her bed even more. Tina was staying for dinner, though, so she had to last a few more hours. Meeting her friend at the trunk of her car, Leanne grabbed her bags then headed for the house.
“So, what are we having?” Tina asked.
She shrugged. Her mom hadn’t told her what she’d planned to make, or anything about putting up the tree. “No one tells me anything anymore.” No, instead she was fed lies, set up for heartbreak.
Tina gripped her shoulder as she reached to open the door. But it swung open in front of her. Jake stood in the doorway like a mirage in the desert. She wanted to run into his arms, pretend the morning had never happened. Instead, all of her hurt and anger spewed out in her words. “What the fuck are you doing here? I thought you quit.”

Accidental Romance
The Challenge series
By Jessica E. Subject
Contemporary Western New Adult Romance
ISBN: 978-1613334607
At twenty-two, Leanne Declan has graduated from college and hopes to take over the family farm until a tragic accident changes her life forever. Unable to do the simplest everyday chores, she must depend on her family and friends as she learns to face life’s challenges. But when her fears threaten to destroy her future, can an unexpected love be strong enough to help her dreams come true?

Available from:

About Jessica E. Subject:
Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotic. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous. 
When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.
Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

This book looks great!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Thank you very much, Vicki! I had a blast doing the research and writing of it. :)