Monday, December 17, 2012

Simple Treasures


By Alexa Bourne
Are you ready for Christmas? I’m not! I’ve still got shopping to do, gifts to wrap, and that necessary trip to the post office. With only a week and one day left, I’m determined to enjoy every moment I can. One thing I KNOW I’m going to enjoy is the release of my next Honor Guard novella, Simple Treasures. It will be available on December 25th! Merry Christmas to me!

Simple Treasures is a modern-day New Year’s story set in the beautiful city of Edinburgh, Scotland. I chose to write about Edinburgh’s Hogmanay, or New Year’s, event because it meant the world to me when I participated two years ago. From the Ferris wheel ride next to the Scott Monument to the burning of the Viking ship at the end of the Torchlight Procession, every moment made me giddy like a little kid waiting for Santa. My heroine, Joanna, reacts in much the same way as me, but, unlike me, she has trouble to deal with while wandering the streets of Edinburgh.

Joanna is an American exchange student studying in Scotland. After spending Christmas with her friends in the Highlands of Scotland (Heather and Malcolm from HerHighland Champion), she returns to Edinburgh ready to enjoy every aspect of the Hogmanay experience. A former US soldier injured on the job, she has learned to appreciate all the wonderful, simple treasures in the world around her.

Unfortunately, Joanna witnesses a crime on the train ride back home and her Hogmanay plans get put on hold. Luckily, my plans in Edinburgh weren’t interrupted, although I wouldn’t have minded meeting a man like Joanna’s hero, Colin.

He’s a man on a mission, hoping to land the perfect job with the International Protective Network, or IPN. He’s tall, dark and sexy, but he’s definitely not ready for Joanna and her passion for life. She throws him off guard because he’s always very driven, very focused on one thing at a time, and he has no time to smell the roses. But Joanna forces him to slow down, to take a good look at the world around him and appreciate all that he has. And soon, she becomes the one thing he’s focused on. Which, in itself causes more problems for the both of them. What kind of problems? Well, for that you’ll have to read the book! I hope you have a wonderful holiday and a Happy Hogmanay!

Book Blurb
Take-charge bodyguard Colin Munro believes working for the International Protective Network will be the perfect occupation for him. Unfortunately, his trial assignment is protecting a woman who has no intention of blindly following orders. Aye, he’ll bring the bonnie lass in line because there’s no way he’ll allow her to ruin his chance of securing his dream job.

Physically and emotionally scarred during her stint as a U.S. soldier, Joanna Grainger wants nothing more than to enjoy life. New Year's Eve in Edinburgh marks the beginning of her transformation. But when she witnesses a crime no one believes occurred, her plans come to a screeching halt. To make matters worse, her sexy but headstrong bodyguard has no compassion for her or the victim.

As danger hunts them during one of the busiest time of the year, Joanna must convince Colin she's a worthy partner. But first, can she convince herself?

2 comments:

Susan W. said...

Congrats on the new release! We have one more thing to get for my in-laws then we're done!
suz2(at)cox(dot)net

Alexa Bourne said...

Thanks, Susan! I'm psyched to have the book out soon. I'm also psyched because I did a BUNCH of Christmas shopping today!