Saturday, October 22, 2011

Showin’ Mah Belly


by Gina Lamm

Hello there, Decadent Readers! I’m new here, so I thought I’d let you in on a little secret:
My name is Gina Lamm, and I’m a bellydancer.
I’m on hiatus at the moment, but I’ve taught this wonderful, beautiful performance art for several years now. It’s a wonderful way to tone your core, build up your self esteem, and wear some awesome costumes!

Sword, Veil, Zills, Fire, I did ‘em all. I wrote routines for myself, for my troupe, and for my group of students, usually numbering in the twenties or thirties every semester, for three semesters a year. That’s a lot of wigglin’. 

I did primarily Tribal Fusion bellydance. For those of you who are interested, it’s a little darker, a little less flashy than the Egyptian Cabaret style that most people think of when they hear bellydancing. A lot of the moves are the same, but the stances, the music, and above all, the attitude are completely different.
I am a very passionate dancer. I give each and every move my complete dedication, throwing all of me into each dance. Sometimes, a little too much of me. Control is one of the hardest things I ever had to learn as a dancer, and honestly, I still struggle with it.
Same with writing. I throw all of me onto the page, typing with all the passion and the heart that I can muster. Sometimes the results are great, and others, well, here we go with that control issue again.
In bellydancing, writing, art, and life, passion is a great ingredient. But too much of it, well, makes you kind of look spastic.
If you’re interested in Bellydancing, let me know! And if you’re interested in writing, well, my 1Night Stand short, One Night to Fly, released just this week. Check it out if you want to see both passion AND control. (Mine, not Baird’s or Ginger’s, hehee.)

Thanks for stopping by, and it’s great to meet you guys!

Gina Lamm

3 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

How fascinating! I can't dance - not even jig on the spot, without looking clunky. OOh and I'm off to a halloween ball this week! Darn it. I shall do my usual lurk in the corner behind the potted plant.

Natalie said...

I want to dance with you!!! That is all I will say about that LOL

Liz said...

learned to belly dance in Turkey! fun!