Tuesday, November 16, 2010

10Q Tuesday with Ursula Sinclair


Is there a writer you idolize? If so who?

Not really. I enjoy the individual styles of many writers. For example Robert Jordan for the way he builds complex fantasy worlds. Julie Garland and Deborah Smith for the pure joy of their beautiful storytelling. Feehan, Showalter, Kenyan, York, Dodd for difficult relationship building between the hero and heroine. You know they'll be together in the end but the trip is worth it to get there and for the darkness sometimes within their characters. They're brilliant at showing shades of gray. Maggie Shayne and Iris Johansen for their suspense. Truthfully my list can go on and on.

Do you have any suggestions for beginning writers? If so, what are they?

Just to keep writing and perfecting their skill. Join a critique group that they're comfortable with. Read as much as possible inbetween writing to see what other authors in the genre are doing. Study what various publishing houses are looking for and submit to the ones that would best suit their work. And finally all authors have received rejections and negative reviews but don't let that stop you.

What are you passionate about these days?

Outside of my family it would be what I've been passionate about all along writing. Oh and chocolate. That's never gonna change.

Do you have a milestone birthday coming up? If so, how are you approaching it?

LOL! Actually I just had one and it was fantastic. I don't look my age and I'm pretty proud of that.

Have you attended a high school reunion? What did you learn?

Unfortunately no. I wish I could have attended the last one but I had a conflict with the date.


If you could apologize to someone in your past, who would it be?

Yes. Ronny Garfinkel. A boy in high school who I embarrassed when he asked me to the prom. He asked me in front of a bunch of our mutual friends and I didn't turn him down easy. I cringe just thinking about it. Sorry, Ronny you were a nice guy and I was a well, you know what.


When's the last time you played that musical instrument?

Ah, no comment.


Morning Person? Or Night Person? How do you know?

Both. I'm a mom I have no choice.


Tell us about your favorite restaurant.

Depends on where I am, but one of the best restaurants I've even been to was in Philadelphia, PA, Morimoto's. The entire dining experience was fabulous from the appetizers to the desserts, five star all the way. I'm salivating just thinking about it.


Beatles or Monkees? Why?

Beatles. It's obvious. Those who choose otherwise should have to explain themselves.

5 comments:

Stephanie Williams said...

Great interview Ursula. Loved your debut book and waiting for the sequel! :)

Unknown said...

Love the interview! Poor Ronny - you made me smile. Love your writing, keep up the good work!

kathleen said...

Great interview Ursula. We share the same passion. lol

Ursula Sinclair said...

LOL! Thank you all. Steph's it's coming. LOL!

Anonymous said...

:-)
Love us some Ursula! Great 10Q.
Heather