Monday, December 1, 2014

Writing Shifters in the F/F Genre

By Elizabeth Morgan

I don't believe there is a difference in formula when writing a heterosexual or GLBT story. I've heard that there aren't many GLBT stories about shifters, which seems crazy.
Can two female or two male shifters work/mate? Of course they can.
Shifters - or your human - romances/relationships are what they are. Relationships are complicated, hard work, and have highs and lows no matter what gender the couple are. Relationships between two men or two women only seem different - in real life and in fiction - because of society and how society acts toward them. At least, that's the opinion I have formed through learning our history, watching the news, and watching and listening to those around me.
Love isn't homophobic, or racist, or prejudice, or anything else you may want to throw in there. It is universal and knows no bounds, which is why I can't really sit here and say something interesting about writing an F/F shifter story. The formula is exactly the same as writing a story with two heterosexuals whether they be shifters or not.

On the Rocks is - and remains to be - the first F/F story I have written, but I hadn't planned for it to be a story with two leading ladies, and even though I wrote the book I never did, and still don't, focus upon the fact that it is an F/F story. The moment the idea popped into my head Meghan and Zenzie stepped forward, and I was cool with that. I never looked at them and thought, "huh, two women?" I just went with them on this little adventure, because it was their story, and I had so much fun writing it.
The inspiration behind the story was actually rather straightforward. I had already written two books - which are part of an ongoing series - featuring Werewolves - which you can read more about on my site: www.e-morgan.com - and since I adore all things paranormal and have a particular soft spot for shifters, I decided I wanted to try something different; something water related. So, I pulled out one of many encyclopaedias' sitting on my bookshelf, flicked through the pages and stopped when I read:
"The Nixie is a freshwater femme fatale amphibian."
Well, it was too much of a delicious statement to ignore. Once I had read the section, and Meghan and Zenzie had stepped forward the story just unfolded before me.
Now, On the Rocks isn't your stereotypical shifter story. When most people hear or read the word "shifter" it does conjure images of fur, fangs, and claws in some shape and variety, and not to mention the "M" word; mates. Shifters are all about soul mates. Those deep, raw, primal connections, which is the side - I believe - to such stories that appeals to us all because - no matter how much you may wish to deny it - we all, on a primal level, want to belong to someone and vice versa. I know I do. I'm not ashamed to say that I want intensity and passion mixed in with respect and tenderness, but I think that reason - the pull you sense between shifters once they find their mates - is the biggest attraction and lure of these particular creatures.
I could go on about such a matter, but I have to bite my tongue and stop there, because On the Rocks isn't actually about two shifters mating. Nor does it feature a shifter you would know a lot about.
(My Urban Fantasy/Erotic Paranormal Romance Series is full of mating issues and other delicious problems between various characters. So, when I started work on OTR I didn't want to write something that heavy and complicated, or rather, that was not how the idea for this story was presented. I wanted to write something fun. So the complexity of relationships is not something you will find in this book.)
On the Rocks is a story about a woman who falls prey to a very different kind of shifter who is just having fun in her own twisted 'n' sexy way. So, if you have a dark sense of humour; are open minded, and like your books hot with a twist, you might very well enjoy this story.

Thanks for joining me today. If you're interested in winning yourself a copy of On the Rocks - no harm in a Christmas present for yourself ;-P - just leave a comment to this post with your answer to this question: What do you like about Shifters/Shifter stories?

Competition will end midnight eastern time on December 4th.

BLURB:
On the Rocks is the hottest club on South Padre Island, and Meghan’s new workplace.
If the warped mermaid uniform isn’t enough, the fact that she can’t stop thinking about the club’s singer, Zenzie, is. Everything about the female gets Meghan hot, but when she finally gets her shot with the temptress, it turns out Zenzie isn’t as perfect, or as human, as Meghan thought.

And now, here's an excerpt for you:

Her warm breath skated down my neck causing a shiver to curl around my spine. She straightened then slid her hands through my hair. My eyelids fluttered at the feel of her fingertips stroking over my temples and along my hairline.
“I saw you watching us.”
I stared at her. “Excuse me?”
“Do you like watching?” She retrieved a few items from the vanity table, twisted two sections of my hair, and pushed the hair clips into place. “It’s all right. You can tell me, Meghan.”
My body tightened at the husky way she said my name. The knot between my legs pulsed under her piercing stare. I had no idea how, or even why she managed to get under my skin, but God, I wanted her.
“I’m not a pervert or anything.”
“I know you’re not.” She slid a chain of small red flowers into the black mass of my hair.
“I just heard a noise. I guess my curiosity got the best of me.” I shifted on my seat. “I’m sorry—”
“Don’t be. I liked you watching.”
My nails dug into my knees as her hands moved down my throat. Her skin like satin—her touch, soft. She ran her fingertips over the top of my breasts.
“I would have asked you to join us, if you hadn’t run.” Her gaze caught mine again while she slid her hand inside my skin-tone bra. “Will you run now, or will you do what we both know you want to do?”


Author Bio:
Elizabeth Morgan is a multi-published author of urban fantasy, paranormal, erotic horror, f/f, and contemporary; all with a degree of romance, a dose of action and a hit of sarcasm, sizzle or blood, but you can be sure that no matter what the genre, Elizabeth always manages to give a unique and often humorous spin to her stories.
Like her tagline says; A pick ‘n’ mix genre author. “I’m not greedy. I just like variety.”
And that she does, author of erotic ménage horror, Creak, paranormal erotic horror and UK, US & Australian Amazon best seller (Gay/Lesbian, Fiction, Lesbian), On the Rocks, erotic romance, US, UK & Spanish Amazon bestseller (Erotica Short Story) Truth or Dare? And sweet contemporary romance, UK & US Amazon bestseller (British/Drama & Plays) Stepping Stones.
She also has her hand in self-publishing. Look out for more information on her upcoming releases at her website: www.e-morgan.com
Away from the computer, Elizabeth can be found in the garden trying hard not to kill her plants, dancing around her little cottage with the radio on while she cleans, watching movies or good television programmes – Dr Who? Atlantis? The Musketeers? Heck, yes! – Or curled up with her two cats reading a book.
For more information on Elizabeth's work, published and upcoming, head on over to her site:

 Website || Blog || Twitter: @EMorgan2010 || Goodreads || Facebook || Pinterest || 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just started reading paranormal novels. I find them different and exciting from what I normally read. I love the shifters books best because the ones I've read have been hot, sexy and exciting!!I am definitely a fan of shifter novels.

Elizabeth Morgan said...

Shifter books are definitely exciting and sexy, but it is the intensity that I enjoy. I love an intense hero, or heroine ;)

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, Charilene. :)

Elizabeth Morgan said...

Congrats Charilene, you are the winner! I have just emailed you. :)