Saturday, August 2, 2014

Why Wolves?

Available HERE
By Ella Grey

I've always described myself as being a multi-genre writer. I don't write any one genre and I've tackled light bdsm, contemporary, young adult, steampunk, urban fantasy and paranormal romance. Now I know that being a writer is a lot like being a mum, which I am, thankfully to one little boy and choosing your favourite is next to impossible but urban fantasy and paranormal romance both rank pretty high. Also I can combine them together like a mad scientist. That's the great thing about being a writer. Genres are a lot like giant ingredient  pots, take a little from that one, take a pinch from another, throw it into the oven* and ta-da, throw on some sprinkles and it's done.
I've seen a lot of stories out there which uses bears, foxes, hedgehogs, ravens (ahem, one of mine) and nothing is off-limits anymore. Do I need to mention the dinosaurs? So why, out of pretty much anything I could have chosen, did I pick wolves for the Black Paw Pack series? I have to admit it just happened. I had a very clear picture in my mind involving Adam, my hero in the first story, Saving Kat. Tall, dark, handsome and the Alpha of the pack. He was also playful, he teased Kat to distraction and he relished the moments they shared and that’s before he realised how much he loved her. I needed an animal who embodied all of that. Loyal, playful, beautiful and strong. That's how I view all the characters in this series, even if some of them think that they are broken and can't be fixed. (Poor William, I'll get to your story soon.)
In Guarding Mari, I tackled the idea of rogues. The wolves who'd tasted human blood and gone mad because of it. The story is split into two parts. The first shows Daniel, the packs enforcer, meeting Mari, a human doctor infected by the rogue wolf. The second half is set three years later. Mari has grown as a wolf and the mates are brought back together to take down an old threat.
Obviously they were still going to be wolves but this story had a lot more action in it. I pictured wolves fighting in the desert and on a snow covered mountain. I wanted my female characters to be just as strong as their male counterparts and I thought wolves embodied those qualities quiet well.
But you'll have to read the series, which is currently on sale to see if I managed it.
*cupcake metaphor, yummy.

Blurb:
Three years is a long time to be away from your mate.
Mari was a doctor before she was infected with the werewolf virus, a target of a deranged serial killer. The night held one bright moment. She met Daniel Greyborn, the other half of her soul. But she’s been living a half-life away from him.
Daniel wants a lifetime with his mate.
Daniel made a difficult decision when he left Mari with the Black Paw Pack. When he finds a body on his compound, he knows that Ryback is back and it’s time to finish what happened three years ago and reclaim his soul.
Are they about to underestimate a killer?

Genre: Paranormal, contemporary romance, shapeshifters, suspense/thriller, urban fantasy

Excerpt:
Dammit. If he left her he might as well sign her death certificate himself. The rogue wouldn’t be getting far. He’d been hit with a car, had his guts on the wrong side of his body, and now a well-placed pen pierced his eye. His body needed time to heal that much damage. Internal wounds took longer to heal, if at all.
Crouching next to her, he searched for her pulse at her throat. “Can you hear me?” The doctor’s eyes fluttered open, a pale grey that looked unfocused. Daniel tried his best to ignore the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. A growing pool of blood spread out beneath her. There hadn’t been a weapon, but the rogue used something to gut her, a claw?
“It hurts.” She whimpered.
“Did he have a knife?” A pointless question, but he had to be sure.
“He punched a hole through Malcolm’s chest with his bare hands.” It obviously took her a lot of effort to push out the words. “He doesn’t need a weapon.” Her eyes fluttered shut again.
“Wake up.” The words came out harsher than he wanted, but falling asleep right now was the worst thing she could do. She opened her eyes. “Can you tell me your name?”
“Mari.”
“Okay, Mari. This is going to hurt, but I need to pick you up and carry you upstairs.” The doctor nodded and bit her bottom lip as he lifted her. “It’ll be okay. I just need you to hold on.”
“I’m not making any promises.”
Daniel cradled her against his chest, not worried about the blood that seeped into his clothes. No, Ryback wouldn’t have her as well

Ella can be found at…

#ellagrey, #decadentpub, #blackpawpack, #shapeshifterromance, #paranormalromance

No comments: