Monday, January 6, 2014

Writers and New Year Resolutions


By Patricia Bates

The holidays have come and gone and in their wake is a renewed sense of dedication or perhaps desperation. 2013 for me was a good year, professionally speaking. I had out multiple books, had a couple of really nice royalty checks and took a leap of faith into a new work project. The going was fast paced, but now things are slowing down and I'm re-evaluating.

So often we as humans, make resolutions at New Years, put in goals and aspirations which sound great at the time. But are they realistic? Can we, with our busy lives, our deadlines, and the speedbumps and road blocks which pop up really expect those plans to become reality? If you're like me, I'm the kind of person who needs at least 36 hours in a day, simply because I have a lot going on...perhaps its a stretch.  I've tried the schedule everything right down to the moment and it feels well, fake to me. You can schedule some things, but how can you schedule life?

So this year I made a resolution I think I can manage. One which with persistence, with dedication I can actually make work. No its not make a million this year or even write ten books and sell them all...this year my plans are far simpler, and far more complex. 2014 is the year I'm going to reorganize not only my writing, by my publishing, my time management....and ultimately my brain.

Simple, you're saying? Uh you must not understand the word simple because that's nearly impossibly you can't reoganize your brain. Not in the literal sense, but I'm working on baby steps. Daily goals, word count quotas, focusing on spending the time I allot myself at the computer to write...on writing. This may mean turning off the internet on my laptop, or plugging myself into my tunes so I don't hear the phone. It will not be an easy task, but the rewards I think will be worth it.

I narrowed down the goals I want to accomplish as an author – three full length novels and two novellas to be finished by the end of the year. Finished – not submitted unless I feel they're ready but that's not really a part of the plan.

Garner more submissions for my publishing house – work on getting at least two contractable submissions in a month. May seem a small goal but if I get more it would be even better! Small goals perhaps but there are times when small goals are the best.  With each goal met, each milestone passed I've designed a reward system and if I can fulfil this years professional resolutions...this time next year perhaps I'll be riding my horse in preparation for the show season! But that's a thought for another day...

So, what's your resolutions? What do you want to accomplish this year? Big or small every goal we set is another step in the right direction and I'd love to hear your plans and goals for 2014.


No comments: