Tuesday, April 23, 2013

My Experiences in the County

Buy Accidental Romance HERE

By Jessica Subject

Hello everyone!
My recent release, Accidental Romance takes place on a dairy farm. While I don’t live in a big city, I no longer live in the country. And my experiences with country living are very limited. Here are some of my experiences with country living:
·        The first time I visited a dairy farm, I was a co-op student in a grade two French-immersion class. We were in the milking parlor when my head started to spin, and my ears rang. I knew I was going to pass out, and searched for the exit with blurry vision. I did pass out, against the milk tank. And that trip was cut short for me.
·        My husband and I rented a farmhouse out in the country for three years. One Sunday morning (I was pregnant at the time), I looked out the front window and saw cows on our front lawn. Then they decided to traipse through the field at the side of our house. The farmer who owned the cows called up one of his friends, who rounded them up on his horse. It was our own little rodeo.
·        Friends of ours have a beef cattle farm. We were over there helping them to bail hay, and get it up into the mow. While we were waiting for the next wagon to come in, I decided to go and see the cows. Well, I got a little too close to the electric fence, and got a nice shock.
·        Once again when I was pregnant, I looked out the window and saw a male pheasant on the road. Now, I’d never seen one of these birds in my life, and decided to get closer. Imagine, a very pregnant woman waddling after a bird that runs like the roadrunner.
·        My first deer/driving encounter happened when we lived in the country, too. I’d seen several deer before, but never while I was driving. It was Christmas Eve. My oldest was only a couple months old, and we were returning from my parent’s house. My hubby was driving his truck behind me. The one thing he taught me was to never swerve if you encounter a deer, because you could end up in a worse accident. Well, when I turned onto our road, a deer came running up beside me. I had to repeat his instruction over and over in my head. I released the gas, but the deer kept pace with me. My heart was pounding, and I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to hit the deer, but I wasn’t going to end up in the snow-covered ditches, either. Thankfully, my husband had seen the deer, too, and backed off. I gently applied the brakes, and that’s when the deer dashed out in front of me, racing to the other side of the road. I didn’t hit it, thank goodness, and I’m always extra cautious when driving in the country.
So, those are some of my experiences with country living? Do you have any stories of your own?

Accidental Romance Blurb:
At twenty-two, Leanne Declan has graduated from college and hopes to take over the family farm until a tragic accident changes her life forever. Unable to do the simplest everyday chores, she must depend on her family and friends as she learns to face life’s challenges. But when her fears threaten to destroy her future, can an unexpected love be strong enough to help her dreams come true?
Available From:

Excerpt:
A million needles pierced her wrist. She had to get away from the fire. Leanne flicked open her eyes, screaming, longing for the agony to stop.
White walls surrounded her. Machines beeped. Taking in the new scenery, she closed her mouth, the pain forgotten. Bags filled with clear liquids as well as blood hung from a metal pole. She followed the tubes from the bags into her left hand. Was that where the burn came from? She glanced at the other arm, the end of which was wrapped in thick bandages. The image of spinning blades and her mangled flesh flashed before her eyes. She screamed again, tears falling down her cheeks. This can’t be happening.
Bodies rushed into the room, many in scrubs. With her vision blurred, she didn’t recognize anyone. All strangers. She was in the foreign place by herself. A nightmare. Has to be.
“Shh, calm down, sweetie. You’ll be okay.”
A familiar voice. She glanced to her other side to see her mom standing beside her, her eyes glassy. She held her hand, but Leanne couldn’t feel it, only the throbbing which had returned to her other one, the one that was…gone? She groaned, turning on her side, and pulled her knees up to her chest.
“Mom, is it really…?”
She brushed her fingers over her forehead. “Don’t worry about it right now. You need to rest.”
“It hurts so bad.”
“I know.” Her mother stroked her face again. “But the nurses will help it go away.”
“Leanne,” one of the nurses hovering around her said. “I want you to take deep breaths and count backward from ten.”
“Ten.” She sucked in air and cried out in agony.
Between clenched teeth, she continued. Anything to stop the pain. “Nine.”
Ice traveled through her veins. “Eight.”
The throbbing slowly ebbed away. Seven.
Darkness swept over her and pulled her down with it.

Bio:
Jessica Subject is the author of contemporary and science fiction romance, ranging from sweet to erotica. In her stories, you could meet clones, or a sexy alien or two. You may even be transported to another planet for a romantic rendezvous. 
When Jessica isn't reading, writing, or doing dreaded housework, she likes to get out and walk. Fast. But she just may slow down if there is a waterfall nearby.
Jessica lives in Ontario, Canada with her husband and two energetic children. And she loves to hear from her readers. 

You can find her at jessicasubject.com and on twitter @jsubject.

7 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

Well, I live in the country - sheep in the field opposite, lots of rabbits, a peacock, pheasants, stoats, and the a deer in the garden - which was a bit of a shock as we thought the garden was closed off. In fact we couldn't believe our eyes. Managed to take a pic before he or she escaped through a hedge! We assumed it was the way it went because it was literally - turn round, turn back and it had gone. If not for the photo.....
I much prefer the countryside to the town though I wouldn't like to be too isolated.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Oh, that sounds absolutely wonderful, Barbara! Makes me miss living in the country even more. Thanks for visiting me! :)

D L Jackson said...

I grew up on a ranch, and though where I live is rural, it's not like my grandfather's ranch out West. There's a lot I miss about it. It's amazing what you see if you stop to look around. I miss the yipping of the coyotes and riding through a field of clover after a rain. It smells like honey. Thanks for sharing, Jessica.

Kathleen Ann Gallagher's Place to Reflect said...

I don't live in the country, but I see deer walking down the side street near my house. Sometimes a family of ducks show up in the parking lot of the hospital where I work. I think they needed a change of scenery.

Great post, Jessica!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Dawn - Wow, that would be amazing! I don't think I've ever seen a coyote, but I did see a pack of wild dogs. Scary!

Kathleen - LOL about the ducks! There is a pair every year that next in the garden box at my doctor's office. The mama just sits on her nest while people walk in and out of the building. Maybe they like to be close to doctors and nurses. I wonder if that's a sign of good luck. :)

Kate Richards said...

Oh we have a pair of ducks in our little pond. And twice this week a heron...a great blue heron. So amazing!

Carly Fall said...

I don't live in the country, but I live the desert, which is kind of like the country with the odd visitors we get. Scorpions,snakes, roadrunners, a zoo worthy amount of bunnies,and the other day we had peacocks on our back patio that escaped from our neighbors.

Good luck with Accidental Romance!