Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Why Zombies Make Me Sad: Crying While I’m Cringing


Buy My Brother, My Zombie HERE


by Rusty Fischer

There is a moment in nearly every zombie movie, where the two heroes, or heroines, or hero + heroine, are almost out of the war zone, have just escaped the building, or crawled out of the tunnel and one of them gets bitten by a zombie.

You know the scene I’m talking about. And now the victim’s fate is sealed; depending on the mythology, in a couple of minutes, or a few hours, or maybe even a day or two, that’s it. They’re done; toast. Zombie toast.

And it makes me sad. Because they’ve always worked so hard to get to that point, and they’re just this side of free and, wham, instant living dead. Maybe that’s what’s so intriguing to me about zombies; maybe that’s why, after nearly 30 zombie stories, books and poems and counting, I’m still struggling to understand them, still coming up with new story lines to figure them out.

And, yes, I know they’re not real but… they’re the realest of the supernatural creatures to me. No superpowers, they don’t sparkle or fly or shape shift, they’re just there, looking like us, but not us.

That’s why my latest Reanimated ReadZ story, My Brother, My Zombie, holds a special place in my heart. It’s about a girl, who’s still human, and her brother; now a zombie. And it’s about their long trek together, their last walk as brother and sister, until he crosses over into what’s known as The Z-Zone, where only zombies fear to tread, and humans cannot go.

It’s a story of love, and loss, of regret and shame, of what was and what can never be. (Plus, it’s got a REALLY cool cover!) So, anyway, just a little rant for today about why zombies hold a special place in my heart, and why I keep writing about them, day after day, story after story, year after year.

So, my question for you: Why do you read about zombies? Do they make you sad, glad, mad or just plain scared? I’d love to hear your comments, and I hope you’ll enjoy My Brother, My Zombie and the rest of the Reanimated ReadZ series of 99-cent living dead shorts!

Yours in Zombie,

Rusty

2 comments:

Barbara Elsborg said...

That sounds rather sweet, Rusty! I think my 'problem' with zombies is that you can't make them good guys because they're falling apart - well, unless you make them not fall apart but wouldn't they be ghosts then? But your brother story has me intrigued now.....

hotcha12 said...

LOVE PARA!