Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Maureen tells all...


Tell us about your favorite character from your books.
Nooooo! You want me to play favorites! I’m a good mom, I love all my characters equally. (Shut up, Mick! I don’t have a favorite, I don’t!) Well, all right, I sorta have a favorite. But only because I wouldn’t mind sliding in and taking her place, sneaky like. (No, Mick, it isn’t your Jezebel.)  I guess if I use those criteria, well…it would be Emily. (Mick! What a mouth you have!) What can I say, I like older men!

Does travel play in the writing of your books?
Well, time travel, space travel, sailing…and places I’d like to travel. Like the Caribbean.

Tell us about your next release.
Oooo! Later this month, Decadent is releasing the second of my books set in the Kraken’s Caribbean. The Chameleon Goggles is pirate world meets military steampunk invasion. Yup, period pirate ship verses armor clad zeppelin. Quite the challenge! Toss in a nice romance, a tragic past and some major risk taking. Fun!

Do you play games? What kind?
Games? What sorta games? (peering sideways at you…) I don’t know you well enough to talk about this… Okay, well, I like to play Mahjong on my computer, and Free Cell…and I like to play with my dog and tease my cat.(In a fun way!)

Do you listen to music while writing? If so what?
Sometimes! Mostly soundtracks. Sometimes music that inspires me with certain lyrics…I’ve got a running theme in my latest scifi romance and like to set my mood with Evanescence and Grey Eye Glances (two groups completely different from each other, yup…I  be a multi-faceted.) Then when I’m ready to dive in…Pagan Saints.(Something totally different!)

What was the scariest moment of your life?
Driving home after a dental appointment and having my first panic attack on the road, alone. Thank God my sis was visiting a friend in the next city. Called her, she talked me to the restaurant where they were eating and talked me down so I could get back on the road home…two more hours on the road. (To be honest, as panic attacks go, it wasn’t terrible. But it was my first where I didn’t know what was going on and thought my heart was getting ready to freak out of me…again.)

What is your favorite meal?
Favorite meal…when I get a chance and find it available…red pepper sauce, spaghetti, garlic bread…starting with a crispy green salad and tart Italian dressing. Dessert?Something with chocolate and cinnamon. Now, I’m hungry.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
A historian. I’m not sure I knew what that meant, but I loved history and historian sounded very involved with history.

What group did you hang out with in high school?
The gnurds! (Yup, nerds but we spelled it differently.) We were the smart kids, not unpopular and we lived in the science wing of my high school. We had really good parties, btw.

Beatles or Monkees? Why?
Monkees! Why? The show.Naismith and the beanie hat.


13 comments:

Maureen said...

It's too bad one of the options isn't Paul Revere and the Raiders. Or Hermits Hermits... Or how about Jefferson Airplane vs. Jefferson Starship?

Katie Harper said...

I wouldn't mind sliding in with a few of your characters either.

Maureen said...

Just remember, Katie...no uzi's in the Kraken's Caribbean...only playing with blades and pistols. Oh, and cannons...

Kathleen said...

Can agree with you on having a panic attack while driving. So scary... Once you know nothing is going to happen, it goes away.

Chocolate and cinnamon, my idea of heaven!

Congrats!

Maureen said...

A panic attacks go, it wasn't a biggie, but when they are all new to you...even a minor one is freaky.

I was so hypersensitive to any little heart hiccup about then.

Yeah, my dream donut is a chocolate cream filled, glazed donut, infused with deep, dark cinnamon and drizzled with choclate. I dreamt about this donut once, but have never found it... Though Cinnabon came close a few years ago with a chocolate cinnamon rolll...don't know why they stopped making them!

JoAnne Kenrick said...

(((hugs))) panic attacks suck xxx

And yeah, even as a Brit I pick The Monkees over The Beatles. Shush, don't tell my mum.

Maureen said...

I'm lucky, JoAnne, it was the first and the only real one I've had.

Bless you, Ativan.

Anonymous said...

I love the cover of the new book. I already have the Kraken's Mirror. This one looks too cool! Can't wait.

Maureen said...

Thank 'ee, Casea! I love all my covers! Equally! ;-)

P. Kirby said...

Grrrr. All right, Maureen. Between your posts on FB about Carl's burgers and now this--spaghetti dinner--I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. And as you know, I have one handy. Come'ere horse. Be eaten.

Oh, and that cover is full of awesome.

Maureen said...

No! Don't eat the wonder horse!

Pat, it's called a car...you get in, turn the key, head down the road and find a restaurant...

Come on, sweetie, you can do it!

And thanks, I lovers my cover. Need to design a button next!

Barbara Elsborg said...

Tis a lovely cover!!!!! But enough with the food - please - I've been so good and not eaten too much on this holiday and now my mouth is watering...

Maureen said...

Barbara - I do chatter about food...but I seldom indulge myself on these favorites. Sigh.