Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blogger to Author. How did It Happen?

In a few weeks it will be my first anniversary as a published author. The past year has taught me so much as I navigate the publishing world. It absolutely blows my mind that not only am I a multi-published author, but also acknowledged as a respected book blogger. I consider myself to be a blogging author. My roots starting in reviewing books and blogging. I can say with utmost certainty that blogging helped me on my journey from aspiring writer to published author.

How did I go from a blogger to an author? It’s really quiet simple. I love to write. Blogging enabled me to do just that. In the beginning blogging was an experiment, a way to release all my ideas rolling around in my head. I needed an outlet, a place where I could express myself. It really didn’t matter to me if I had an audience. All I cared about was writing and publishing on my blog. But then a funny thing happened. I wasn’t the only one reading my blog posts. An audience slowly started to grow.
Blogging allowed me to be creative and set up a writing schedule. I started writing and posting every day. It became a strong need to write more. From this I connected with various other bloggers and because of my concentration on publishing and authors, I then decided, why not try and write something more creative, like fiction? I always enjoyed writing but was too afraid for anyone to read my writing. Fear held me back. Because of blogging I gained the confidence to allow others to read my writing and give me their opinions, much like people would leave comments on my posts.

I’ll never forget the day I asked an author friend, one who I met through blogging, to read a story I wrote and wanted to publish. She read my work and gave me the best piece of advice I still follow to this day. She simply told me that,“it’s not if, but when”I would get published and don’t give up because it would happen. Those words stuck with me. I continued to blog and write my stories rolling around in my head. I created a writing schedule for myself, a word count I wanted to hit every day if possible. 500 words written a day grew to a thousand. Some days I would hit 3000 words, while other days only half of that. I’ll never forget the day I wrote 9,000 words. That was a high point for me.
Finally that story my friend read was accepted by a publishing house and was published on June 1, 2010. So many told me I couldn’t do it, I didn’t have the skill, that the subject matter was unreadable. My first published work as author KT Grant was a Lesbian Romance called Lovestruck. Since then I’ve written and published many other books that have different types of romantic relationships. How was I able to do this? From blogging. Through blogging I found a network of people who have cheered me on and supported me in my endeavors. I write what I want, much like the posts I put up on my blog and pat myself on the back because I have created something I can be proud of.
So many who blog do go on to become published authors. The need to write grows where it consumes you. It surely has consumed me. And if there ever comes a day when I don’t have time to blog anymore because my writing has become too important, then I will look back fondly on those days not thing, “what if?”, but “what can I accomplish and how can I make it happen?”
If you’re a blogger who writes and dreams of one day becoming a published author, it will happen. Those what ifs will be pushed aside and the when’s and how’s will happen sooner than you think.

12 comments:

Stephanie Williams said...

Hey KT!

This is truely inspirational. It's great that you followed your dream in spite of the nay sayers. The inportant thing is that you believed in yourself, and that you had an author friend that believed in you too.

Going from published blogger to published author was only natural. :)

Valerie Mann said...

No doubt about it, romance authors are the most supportive bunch of writers ever! So glad you started writing more than blogs!

Author Leanne Dyck said...

Thank you for sharing your story, KT. I especially your closing comments. Blogging does help an emerging writer become an published author. It worked for you, it worked for--it can and does work for others.

Maureen said...

I was writing before I started blogging, but once I found a group blog of writers, my growth as a writer really sped up. The support system is marvelous!

And blogging regularly is a wonderful writing challenge and goes a long way toward the discipline necessary to finish any creative project.

Kudos!

Jessica E. Subject said...

Very inspirational!

I began writing before I started blogging, but back then I had very little knowledge about the publishing industry. I didn't even know what ebooks were.

Since I began blogging and social networking, I've met so many great authors, found a critique group and critique partners, and sold a short story to Decadent. :)

All the best!

Monika Michalak said...

This is very inspirational!!!! I have been writing and I have just launched a blog. I know I have a long way to go but I am excited! And I love sharing other writers' success! Good luck!!!

http://monikamichalak.blogspot.com/

KT Grant said...

Stephanie: Thanks! If I listen to those who told me I wasn't good enough, I would be where I am today :)

Valerie: The romance blogs are some of the most supportive around.

TSC: I hope my example can help others.

Maureen: I've become so addicted to blogging and visiting blogs.

Jessica: Congrats to you and all your success! :)

KT Grant said...

Monika: It's all about having fun and being excited :)

Anonymous said...

Kate, you rock, never forget it. And you will continue to rock because you are dedicated.

Heather

Ann Mayburn said...

-cuddles- I love love love your positive attitude :) With that kind of mindset the sky is the limit chica!

Barbara Elsborg said...

Well the message is - don't give up - and you proved it!! What a great story.

kathleen said...

Great post, KT! I admire your enthusiam and energy. Congrats on all your accomplishments in such a short time. All the best!