I don’t know about the rest of the world, I couldn’t live without music. I play it all day – for my students in class when they’re working, after they leave when I’m planning. While I clean, and most especially when I write.
“Music is what feeling sounds like.” -Unknown
Think about it. Different days call for different genres. Happy days are light-hearted ballads and upbeat, cheerful pop tunes. Bad days or sad days are dark metal with soaring vocals or Widor organ toccatas where the bass notes rumble in your breastbone and the neighbors hate your guts.
Sometimes the best way to get past a difficult scene, or get my head into a story is to listen to the music I’ve chosen to go with it. I make playlists for specific novels, for scenes, even for specific characters and/or emotions. I’ve been known to loop a single song (So She Dances by Josh Groban comes to mind) until my roommate probably wanted to kill me.
So I’ve decided to share a part of the playlist for Blood Moon. (My playlists are long. I won’t bore you with the entire thing.) I’ve identified what scenes a few of them “go with.”
1. All for Love – Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Sting
2. So She Dances – Josh Groban (This and All for Love were the two songs used for the proposal scene)
3. Bossy – Kelis
4. Day ‘n’ Nite – Kid Cudi
5. Give Me A Sign – Breaking Benjamin
6. Gotta Be Somebody – Nickleback
7. Hero – Skillet
8. I Miss You – Blink-182
9. In The Air Tonight – Phil Collins
10. Via Con Me – Paolo Conte
11. Black Spider – Sunday Driver
12. Rain – Creed
13. The Bird and the Worm (Instrumental) – The Used
14. Just Like You Imagined – Nine Inch Nails (Part of the ending fight scene)
15. I’ve Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts – Danny Kaye (Yup. It goes with Thaddeus.)
16. Can’t Take It In – Imogen Heap
17. Mi Morena – Josh Groban (Love scene)
Thanks for stopping by and reading (or listening!) What things inspire you? If you’ve read Blood Moon, do these match what YOU thought? I’d love to hear what you think!